Even cities can produce food locally. In Bronzeville we are focusing efforts on revitalizing a vacated rail embankment to create commercial growing as a worker cooperative.
In 2002 B.U.D. founders Charles Sutton and Danielle Kizaire-Sutton traveled through their neighborhood on Chicago's south side, Bronzeville. Danielle wanted to show Charles a vacated Commonwealth Edison sub-station designed by famous architect, Hermann V. von Holst. The building once provided electric service to the Stockyard Rail line and the Kenwood line rapid transit. The Chicago Stock Yards ceased operation in the 1950's. The substation that once supplied the juice closed in 1949.
Charles Sutton noticed the large embankment behind the old building and immediately thought of ways to redevelop this brownfield for the benefit of the community, the city and the people of Bronzeville. The old substation and the embankment behind it was the genesis of BRONZEVILLE URBAN DEVELOPMENT.
Since then B.U.D. has worked with Illinois Institute of Technology through the IPRO project to plan for the first section of the two and one-half miles of rail embankment to develop urban agriculture.
In October of 2016 Mariano's Grocery, dedicated to sourcing locally will be within walking distance of our proposed project.